28.4.12

Man's Life

Our final assignment in Advanced Print Media was to design a magazine cover. It took me a while to figure out what magazine I could design for but when it came to me I knew there was really only one choice all along:


I knew it would be a challenge to come up with titles as good as "Weasel's ripped my flesh!".



I settled on a young sailor fighting the Kraken. Originally he had a knife in one hand, but I decided that it would be much more manly if he just punched the Kraken to death. Here's the original sketch:


I created this cover in a mix of colored pencil blended with turpenoid, acryllic washes and some gouache touchups at the end for highlights and bubbles.



 While I had fun making the cover, I'm not sure if this approach is really for me. I think I prefer painting.

No comments: